THE TALK OF GASOLINE ALLEY
THE HISTORY OF THE 500
The Centennial Celebration (2011)
- Episode 1 – Introduction, Carl Fisher, construction of the track, 1909-1910 races, the 1911 race
- Episode 2 – 1912-1941 races, Early owners, Eddie Rickenbacker, Borg-Warner Trophy
- Episode 3 – Post WWII (1946-1949) and the 1950s, stars of the 50s, cars of the 50s
- Episode 4 – The 1960s, Donald Davidson, British Invasion/car changes, Mario Andretti
- Episode 5 – The 1970s, celebrities at Indy, pre-race ceremonies, A.J. Foyt
- Episode 6 – The 1980s, Johnny Rutherford, Paul Page, Unser family
- Episode 7 – The 1990s, IRL and the “Split”, Bob Jenkins, Rick Mears
- Episode 8 – The 2000s, current drivers, Mike King, female drivers
- Episode 9 – Tom Carnegie, ABC-TV at Indy, Sid Collins
- Episode 10 – Closest finishes, Car owners, Town of Speedway, Fans
The History of the 500 (2012)
- Episode 1: Introduction, Carl Fisher, construction of the track, 1909-1910 races, the 1911 race
- Episode 2: 1912-1941 races, changes/establishments in the early years, Early owners, Eddie Rickenbacker, Indy traditions
- Episode 3: Post WWII (1946-1949) and the 1950s, Tony Hulman, stars of the 50s, Tom Carnegie
- Episode 4: The 1960s, Donald Davidson, British Invasion/car changes, Mario Andretti
- Episode 5: The 1970s, female drivers, Sid Collins, celebrities at Indy
- Episode 6: The 1980s, ABC-TV at Indy, Paul Page, Johnny Rutherford
- Episode 7: The 1990s, the Split, Bob Jenkins, F1 drivers at Indy
- Episode 8: The 2000s, Dan Wheldon, Mike King, current drivers
- Episode 9: The 1982 and 1992 races
- Episode 10: A.J. Foyt, Al Unser, Rick Mears, Roger Penske
The History of the 500 (2013)
- Episode 1: Introduction, Carl Fisher, construction of the track & 1909-1910 races, the 1911 race
- Episode 2: The races from 1912 to 1941
- Episode 3: Post-World Wat II years (1946-1949) and the 1950s
- Episode 4: The 1960s, Donald Davidson, British Invasion/car changes, Mario Andretti
- Episode 5: The 1970s, the 1973 race, Johnny Rutherford, celebrities at Indy
- Episode 6: The 1980s, ABC-TV at Indy, Car owners, Unser family
- Episode 7: The 1990s, the CART/IRL Split, Rick Mears, Formula One drivers at Indy
- Episode 8: The 2000s, Dan Wheldon, female drivers, Tom Carnegie
- Episode 9: The “Voices of the 500” – Sid Collins, Paul Page, Bob Jenkins, and Mike King
- Episode 10: “Mythbusters” – Dispelling urban legends of Indy 500 history
- Episode 11: Bob Sweikert, Troy Ruttman, Jimmy Bryan, Bill Vukovich
- Episode 12: The Indianapolis 500 career of Parnelli Jones
- Episode 13: The Indianapolis 500 career of A.J. Foyt
- Episode 14: The original 1953 Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network broadcast is recovered “from the vault,” celebrating sixty years since its original airing.
- Episode 15: The Indianapolis 500 career of Bobby Unser
Heroes of the 500 (2014)
Episode 1: “Family Ties”
Family participation at the Indy 500. Including the Andretti family, Unser family, father and sons, the Vukovich family, the Bettenhausen family, brothers, Dick and Jim Rathmann, other selected family participation.
Episode 2: “A Conversation with Paul Page”
Celebrating Paul Page’s return to radio as the “Voice of the 500”
Episode 3: “Four Time Winners”
The Indianapolis 500 careers of A.J. Foyt, Al Unser Sr., and Rick Mears
Episode 4: The 1954 Radio Broadcast
The original 1954 Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network broadcast is recovered “from the vault,” celebrating sixty years since its original airing.
Episode 5: The 1964 race
Highlights from the 1964 race, honoring the fiftieth anniversary
Heroes of the 500 (2015)
Episode 1: “Second to One”
The second place finishers of Indy history. Featuring Ralph Mulford, Harry Hartz, Earl DeVore/Norman Batten, Howdy Wilcox II, Ted Horn, Rex Mays, Tony Bettenhausen, George Amick, Eddie Sachs, Dan Gurney, Roberto Guerrero, Kevin Cogan, Michael Andretti, Marco Andretti, Scott Goodyear, J.R. Hildebrand. The book “Second to One.”
Episode 2: “One Moment in May”
Famous moments in Indy history. Featuring Danny Sullivan’s ‘Spin-and-Win’ in 1985, the 1991 duel between Rick Mears and Michael Andretti, Scott Goodyear passes the pace car in 1995, J.R. Hildbrand in 2011.
Episode 3: “Racings’s Rated Rookies”
Great rookies in Indy history. Featuring Ray Harroun, Jules Goux, Rene Thomas, Frank Lockhart, George Souders, Juan Pablo Montoya, Helio Castroneves, Danica Patrick, Nigel Mansell, Tim Richmond, Teo Fabi, Jim Hurtubise, rookies that did not complete a lap, Bobby Unser, Parnelli Jones, Mario Andretti, Sage Karam.
Episode 4: “Beyond the Bricks”
Roundtable conversation about Indy history with Mike Thomsen, Robin Miller, Steve Shunck, and Bob Gates. Topics of discussion include Al Unser Sr., the great second place finishers, Danny Sullivan’s spin and win, the 1991 race, Scott Goodyear passing the pace car in 1995, the Penske team bumped in 1995 (“paging Jack Kevorkian”), the “not so greats,” Bob Harkey in 1973, Dario Franchitti.
Episode 5: “The Al Unser Story”
The Indianapolis 500 career of Al Unser Sr. (2015 Legends Day honoree).
Heroes of the 500 (2016)
Episode 1: “The Fabulous 1950s”
Bob Sweikert, Troy Ruttman, Jimmy Bryan, Bill Vukovich.
Episode 2: “Top 10 Rookies”
Danica Patrick, Nigel Mansell, Jim Clark, Graham Hill, George Souders, Rene Thomas, Jules Goux, Helio Castroneves, Frank Lockhart, Juan Pablo Montoya.
Episode 3: “Top 10 Influential Non-Drivers”
Donald Davidson, Fred Offenhauser, George Bignotti, Tom Carnegie, Sid Collins, A.J. Watson, Harry Miller, Roger Penske, Carl Fisher & Eddie Rickenbacker, Tony Hulman.
Episode 4: “Top 10 Car Owners”
Andy Granatelli, Mike Boyle, Harry Hartz, J.C. Agajanian, Michael Andretti, U.E. “Pat” Patrick, Chip Ganassi, Leader Cards (A. J. Watson & Bob Wilkie), Lou Moore, Roger Penske.
Episode 5: “Top 10 Heartbreaks”
Scott Goodyear (1992), Emerson Fittipaldi (1994), Ralph DePalma (1912), Kevin Cogan (1986), Eddie Sachs (1961), Roberto Guerrero (1987), Roberto Guerrero (1992), Michael Andretti (1992), Marco Andretti (2006), J.R. Hildebrand (2011).
Episode 6: “Top 10 Finishes”
1912, 1967, 1986, 1989, 2012, 2014, 2011, 1982, 1992, 2006.
Episode 7: “One Moment in May”
The 1967 race with Parnelli Jones driving the Turbine and A.J. Foyt winning his third “500”, the 1987 race where Al Unser Sr. entered the month without a ride and won his record-tying fourth “500”, the 1992 race where Al Unser Jr. drove the Galmer chassis to an unexpected victory on a cold, crash-filled day, holding off Scott Goodyear in the closest finish in Indy history.
Episode 8: “Top 10 Women”
Pippa Mann, Ana Beatriz, Katherine Legge, Simona de Silvestro, Maude “M.A.” Yagle, Sarah Fisher, Lyn St. James, Mari Hulman George, Janet Guthrie, Danica Patrick.
TRACKSIDE with Cavin & Kevin
ONE ON ONE
- 05-10-2009: Donald Davidson
- 05-17-2009: Tom Carnegie
- 05-16-2010: Parnelli Jones
- 05-23-2010: Johnny Rutherford
- 06-13-2010: Rick Mears
- 02-20-2011: Remembering Tom Carnegie
- 05-01-2011: Robin Miller (part 1)
- 08-21-2011: Robin Miller (part 2)
- 05-08-2011: Bobby Unser (part 1)
- 05-15-2011: Bobby Unser (part 2)
- 05-22-2011: Dr. Richard Bennett (not available)
- 06-05-2011: Al Unser, Jr. (part 1)
- 06-12-2011: Al Unser, Jr. (part 2)
- 10-27-2013: Al Unser, Jr. (part 3)
- 05-13-2012: Chuck Weyant
- 05-20-2012: Sam Schmidt
- 06-03-2012: Jigger Sirois
- 05-05-2013: Ed Carpenter
- 05-12-2013: Bob Harkey
- 06-02-2013: Mario Andretti (part 1)
- 06-09-2013: Mario Andretti (part 2)
- 05-14-2014: Paul Page
BEYOND THE BRICKS PODCASTS
- 12-6-2012: Bob Gates discusses his new book “California Gold: The Legendary Life Of Troy Ruttman”
- 12-10-2012: John Darlington & Brad Edwards of “First Turn Productions”
- 2-8-2013: Carl Fisher
- 2-15-2013: 1912-1941 races
- 2-22-2013: Greg Littleton and Bob Gates discuss the stars and cars of the Roadster Era
- 3-1-2013: The 1960s
- 3-8-2013: A look back at the 1977 race, featuring Janet Guthrie
- 3-15-2013: A look back at the 1982 race
- 3-22-2013: A look back at the 1992 race
- 3-29-2013: Remembering Dan Wheldon
- 4-5-2013: Humorous Radio Network Moments
- 4-12-2013: History of the 500 Episode 10 preview
- 4-19-2013: Profiles of Sam Hanks and Jim Rathmann
- 4-26-2013: A look back at Parnelli Jones’ win in the 1963 race.
- 5-3-2013: A look back at A.J. Foyt’s first win in the 1961 race
- 5-10-2013: Highlights from the 1947 Mutual race broadcast
- 5-17-2013: Highlights of the One-On-One interview with Bobby Unser (not available)
Indy 500 Radio coverage (WFNI/WIBC)General
- May 12, 1973: Indy 500 Qualifing with Lou Palmer
- Lou Palmer
- May 25, 1980: WIBC race day coverage
- WIBC 30 Days in May promo
- May 18: Hammer & Nigel with Laura Steel and Graham Rahal
- May 18: Hammer & Nigel with Paul Page
- Friday May 25: Carb Night Burger Bash
- Sunday May 27: Race day pre-race show
- Sunday May 27: Race day post-race show
- December 13: Interview With Paul Page
- April 7: Hammer & Nigel with Ed Carpenter
- May 16: Hammer & Nigel with Pippa Mann
- May 23: Carb Day & Freedom 100
- May 23: Tony Katz Indy 500 special
- May 25: Indy 500 Post-Race coverage
- May 16: Qualifying DAY 1
- May 17: Qualifying DAY 2
- May 22: Carb Day
- May 22: Carb Night Burger Bash
- May 24: Pre-Race Coverage
- May 24: Post-Race Coverage
- Saturday May 14: Grand Prix Pre-Race coverage
- Saturday May 14: Grand Prix Post-Race coverage
- Friday May 27: Carb Night Burger Bash
- Sunday May 29: Indy 500 Pre-race coverage
- Sunday May 29: Indy 500 Post-race coverage
- Saturday May 13: Grand Prix Post-Race coverage
- Sunday May 28: Indy 500 Pre-race coverage
- Sunday May 28: Indy 500 Post-race coverage
Fred Agabashian Interviews (1961)
Previewing the “Golden Anniversary” of the first 500, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network “driver expert” Fred Agabashian conducts interview with numerous people involved in the race. Episodes include: Introduction, Sid Collins, Joe Quinn, George Salih, Johnny Boyd, Jim Smith (Indianapolis Times), Clarence Cagle, Don Gardner (Champion Spark Plugs), Al Bloemker, Chickie Hiroshima, Indianapolis Mayor Charles H. Boswell, Sam Hanks, Tony Hulman, Harland Fengler.
Eddie Sachs Speech at the Kiwanis Club (1963) (LINK)
In late April 1963, Eddie Sachs gave a speech to the Layfayette Indiana Kiwanis Club. Emcee Phil Hedback of Bryant Heating & Cooling introduces Sachs as the “greatest failure in the history of racing.” Sachs recollects on his experiences about becoming a racing driver. Stories include: Speedway Van Lines and Eddie responsible for shipping the Lotus cars from Detroit to the Speedway, George Souders’ influence on Eddie, Dutch Culp story (sneaking into the pits), going to work for Charlie Sacks (apparently being taught how to “bs” to car owners), driving for Johnny Apple and being the ‘slowest qualifier ever’, I’m a dirt track driver versus I’m an asphalt driver, Eddie’s first chance to drive an Offenhauser at Arizona (blew the engine cranking it up), Eddie’s 1953 rookie test at Indianapolis, “Elknoc” the ambulance driver, finally passing the rookie test in 1955, Q&A session (12″ wheels, laundry bill for the month, do drivers scare themselves to get speed to qualify).
500 Miles To Glory: (1957)
Voices From the Speedway: (2002)
Jean Shepherd WOR radio programs (Indy-related)
2002 Indianapolis 500 Scanner Traffic recording
Includes two-way radio communication from Paul Tracy and Team Green. Recording courtesy of one very generous individual.
1992 Roberto Guerrero time trials run
Tom Carnegie calls Roberto Guerrero’s pole winning qualifying run.
1996 Arie Luyendyk time trials run
Tom Carnegie calls Arie Luyendyk’s pole winning qualifying run.